Monday, December 6, 2010

Brown Rice Flour Mix

    Welcome to the world of gluten free. Whether you are newly diagnosed as a celiac or have a gluten intolerance this is where you will want to come.

    Like you I had a lot of questions when I was first told to go on a gluten free diet. One question I had was does this mean I can no longer enjoy cakes and cookies? The answer was no, but they would need to be made differently.

   I started my search by buying a number of gluten free products as  a sample as top taste and texture. I found that there were alot of good products with good taste and texture and alot of products to stay clear of.

     Gluten free pastries and breads when purchased at a store are considerably more expensive.  If you're used to paying between $1.09 and $1.89 a loaf for white bread be prepared to pay between $5 and $8 a loaf for gluten free white loaf.

      I searched for options.  I came to conclusion that if I wanted a satisfying bread then I would need to either be willing to pay the price or make my own. Because gluten is in the flour normally used in bread that is using a wheat based flour my search was to duplicate the flour minus the gluten. There are a number of gluten free pre-mixed flour blends out there and even good bread mixes as well.

      While exploring the possibilities I found a number of helpful sites and books.   Elana's kitchen  and gluten-free goddess both gave me ideas but found a flour blend that would work for me in  a book called  Gluten-Free Baking Classics the recipe for the flour mix is as follows:

BROWN RICE FLOUR MIX

2 cups     Brown rice flour
2/3 cup   Potato starch (not potato flour)
1/3 cup   Tapioca flour

Makes 3 cups              You can easily make a 12 cup batch of this.

  Armed with this mix I was able to start making cakes and cookies and breads again.

No comments:

Post a Comment